The Federal Government built this large facility between 1857 and 1940 for heavy manufacturing for the Armory Hill Shops on State Street. It closed in 1968 and was sold to private ownership.
The front of complex was severely damaged by fire in the late 1980s and its upper floors were removed. The complex was also damaged by the 2011 tornado. Marginally in use, the buildings continues to deteriorate.